Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hero! UK Postmaster

I love this recent story out of the UK. It's about a postmaster that immigrated from Sri Lanka who refused service to non-English-speaking resident customers unless they were accompanied by a interpreter. 
‘I decided to make this stand because I think too many Britons are afraid to talk out,’ he explains. ‘If they insist on everyone speaking English they are afraid of being branded a racist.’
‘The fabric of the nation begins to unravel if we don’t all speak the same language. When I left Sri Lanka I left behind that country’s culture, customs and language. I have done my utmost ever since to be part of this country’s culture. Far too many people come here and expect Britain to change to suit them.
‘All I’m doing is telling people if they want to live in Britain, be British. Don’t boo our soldiers when they come home from Iraq. Don’t live your life without embracing our culture. Don’t stay here without making any effort to learn the language. And if you don’t want to be British, go home.’

Stated another way,

Moe: "You know what really aggrevazes me is them imigants. They want all the benefits of livin' in Springfield, but they ain't even bothered to learn themselves the language."

Said one Homer J. Simpson, "Those are exactly my sentimonies."



No comments:

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping