Monday, October 26, 2009

Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater

Tonight was pumpkin carving time in preparation for Halloween. You may recall my disdain for pumpkins from last year's pumpkin post - "Jack"-o-lantern. I don't know whether something had changed chemically within my being to make me like pumpkins or if I've simply become a broken man. But there were several small details which indicate I may actually be learning to enjoy the process.
  1. We bought multiple pumpkins
  2. I specifically selected a pumpkin with a bit of character, instead of seeking out the perfectly round specimen like I always have in the past
  3. I proactively sought out some potential ideas (thanks Google Images!) and let the kids vote on their favorite
  4. I initiated the event with the kids - Sara wasn't even home (she was grateful for that)
  5. Halfway in I realized that I had forgotten to don a pair of latex gloves to protect me from actual contact with the pumpkin guts - and I just shrugged it off
  6. The pumpkin didn't smell nearly as unpleasant as past experience had suggested
  7. I couldn't find any of our special carving tools but I persisted anyway with a paring knife
The winning design? Daddy's pumpkin eating Brookie's pumpkin!




Want to chime in? Leave a comment to further the discussion.

4 comments:

SMDStudio said...

Love it, love, love it!

Castiel Moyes said...

You and Dustin are the same! He can't STAND the smell of pumpkins and HATES to touch the guts. He wears rubber gloves as well! I thought he was weird.....apparently there are 2 of you!jk Good job on your pumpkin though that was great! Tell Dustin it wasn't so bad!

Leslee said...

You did an AWESOME job!!! I love it!

Sierra said...

I laughed out loud when I saw the picture. That is so cool! We actually went to a patch this year to select our pumpkins; a first for all my girls. They enjoyed the corn maze more than picking out their pumpkins. We carved last night, but ours are byzantine compared to your innovative design.

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping