Thursday, December 17, 2009

First Snowfall

I don't know what the precise conditions were that allowed for this. I know I've never seen anything like it before. These perfect specimens were very lightly blanketing the Jeep on the morning of Dec. 11th as I was taking Brookie to preschool. It was certainly cold enough to preserve these throughout the night. But why did they only barely stick to the windshield and not blow off? Most were on an edge - hardly any laid flat against the glass. How did just this small sprinkling occur and not more? What was the window of time available for me to see this spectacle, and why was I so fortunate? How rare is this? I wouldn't say this was life-changing, but I was pretty humbled by the event.


And Brooklyn was 10 minutes late for school because we paused so long to take it all in.

I really don't even know if these should technically be called snowflakes. They look more like the folded paper cutouts or the Hollywood version of the perfect snowflake (I'm thinking of 'Grinch' here). They certainly don't look like the big fluffy flakes we try to catch on our tongues.



If you liked this entry, please 'Digg' it.


Want to chime in? Leave a comment to further the discussion.

2 comments:

Leslee said...

Those are awesome pictures. I had a similar experience one morning last week. It was absolutely beautiful.

Sierra said...

I've never seen anything like it. Those are so intricate and beautiful. Definetely worth being late for school.

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping