Thursday, August 27, 2009

Lightning in a Bottle

Every night in Puerto Vallarta thus far has brought with it extreme lightning storms. It's weird, the days are sunny and gorgeous, but when night falls, the lightning begins all over the place. Don't believe me? I took this picture on our pocket point-and-shoot no less than 20 minutes ago - 10:30 PM local time (read: it was pitch black except for the lightning). 



That's not a screencap from a video. I just happened to snap the picture at the same time as one of the many lightning flashes.

I've got a great video of the lightning for you as well, but I'm having trouble uploading it to YouTube from Mexico, so it may have to wait [all done now that I'm back in the USA]. It gives you an idea of just how much lightning is coming down. It feels other-worldly. Like something Captain Kirk and crew might encounter on some inhospitable planet. And the video just shows one small section of the sky. Each flash is a lightning bolt visible somewhere in the surrounding sky - but not necessarily in the view of the camera.








Frankly, I'm surprised we still have power and an Internet connection.

No comments:

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping